The meeting of the high-level political forum on sustainable development in 2018 convened under the auspices of the Economic and Social Council will be held from Monday, 9 July, to Wednesday, 18 July 2018.
HIC together with the Global Platform for the Right To The City (GPR2C) will participate at the HLPF whose theme will be "Transformation towards sustainable and resilient societies".
What is in the programme?
The GPR2C is organizing several events during the HLPF:
- Exhibition Stand
- SDG Learning workshop: "Leaving no one behind: Sharing Major Groups and other Stakeholders good practices for an inclusive implementation of the 2030 Agenda”
- Time: 9-18 July
- Location: South Wall, first floor area of the UN Secretariat
- Organizers: Global Platform for the Right to the City
- "Cities and the Global Agenda: On the Road to the U20 in Buenos Aires”
- Time: Thursday 12 July, 10.00 AM – 01.00 PM.
- Location: United Nations
- Organizers: Plan International, Tebtebba Foundation on behalf of the Indigenous Peoples’ Major Group and the Global Platform for the Right to the City
- Time: Friday, July 13, 2018 from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM.
- Location: Theresa Land Center, 55 W 13th Street, New York.
- Organizers: The New School, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Mistra Urban Futures and the Global Platform to the Right to the City
- Training Session on the Right to the City (TBC)
- Public Event (TBC)
- Time: Friday, July 13, 2018 from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM.
- Location: Theresa Land Center, 55 W 13th Street, NY.
- Organizers: The New School and the Global Platform to the Right to the City
- Time: Saturday, July 14, 2018 12:00 PM.
- Location: Brook Park, 494 E 141st St, Bronx, NY.
- Organizers: The Global Platform to the Right to the City.
The Right to the City at the HLPF
The participation of HIC and the GPR2C aims to give visibility and raise awareness about local and global struggles for the Right to the City and to monitor the implementation of the SDG's, particularly Goal 11. The set of goals to be reviewed this year will cover the following goals:
- Goal 6. Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all.
- Goal 7. Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all.
- Goal 11. Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable.
- Goal 12. Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns.
- Goal 15. Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss.
- Goal 17. Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development.
Registrations were extended until 21 June 2018 (find registration instructions below). The registration period is now over.